View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 11:21 AM
Banned

Default shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
One of the biggest misconceptions out there....

How does hitting your driver all the time for practice make you better with your putter?

Instead of adding distance and a bigger target, how about same distance and smaller target....

Guys that shoot 18m indoor target archer don't go and shoot at 40 to get better....at 20.... They practice at 20 and focus on shrinking group....

Another thing I tell people as well that want to shoot a perfect round at 20.... do you go and try to shoot the perfect round at 40 on a target double the size....

No you start at closer and using 20 yard size target back up, I tell many archer s how will you shoot a perfect round at 20 until you can do it at 10....

When you go see a golf pro for the first time.... what club do you learn to hit to get better.... the 3 iron or the 9 iron....

If you are shooting for "practice" at 60 and 70 when you a saying you will hunt at 40 or 50..... besides practice is about repiution, you can shoot far more arrows in same time frame shooting at 40 than you can at 70.....

How does practicing the long game in golf make you better at your short game!?....

Practice what you play!.....

I understand testing limits, but that is not practice.... testing limits is important, knowing one can hit a pie plat at 70 adds confidence but if you limit yourself to 40 and expect a 40 yard shot then practice at that...

Here is a small mental tip, when you are practicing success and your are ingraining your brain on arrow placement, it does not compute distance into the equation!..... Thus why when I am teaching archers I often get them to be confident at 10 yards then when they reach their expectation move to 11 yards... etc. their goal is to shoot a tighter group, not a broader one so we give their brain positive reinforcement....

Same concept in any sport.... can't teach a slap shot until they master a wrist shot.... etc...
I get what you are saying, but the dynamics and motions, muscles involved and overall effort of hitting a driver compared to a putter are not the same, so can't be compared that way. Where as with the bow, all motions and muscles are the same, though the aim concentration or settling of the pin for lack of a better term may take a bit more at longer distances.

I would say the vast majority of pros, writers, advice columns etc stick to the mantra of practicing long to become more proficient at shorter distances with the bow. May have a lot to do with the mental side or confidence aspect, but it is definitely the majority that support this method of practice. I think you may be the only person I have heard say otherwise, doesn't mean that what you are saying doesn't work for you or some, just saying it goes against the conventional line of thinking/teaching. I'm no pro, not even close, I'm about average with the bow, better on some days, should leave it in the case on other days. Something I am trying to stick is doing all I can to no have my 5-6 arrow groups any more than one inch more than the first digit on the yardage, so at 20yrds 3inch group (this should be attainable for the vast majority, 30yds 4 inches, 40yds 5inches, 50yds 6 inches and so on. If in recent practice I am not there, it tell me where I should limit my shooting. As mentioned, will also depend on animal size and relative kill zone.