View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Lol.... ok.

You do realize that the 6.5 Creedmoor will out perform the 308 at 600yds right?

Maybe read up on some ballistic charts and cross reference with Hornady bullet performance specs for maximum and minimum velocity and kenetic energy specs. The biggest limiting factor of shooting an elk at 600yds is the marksman, not the rifle. It doesn't matter if you're shooting ab6.5 Creedmoor or a 300 magnum, both will have the energy and speed to kill at that range provided you hit where you aim.
There’s one thing that is never mentioned when light weight bullets get used at distance.

Which is momentum.

There’s a reason that sub 120 grain bullets often wobble but seldom knock over shilouette rams.

The same can be said on game as well. But it’s not as definitive.

James Pondro Taylor was onto something with his TKO calculation, beit he was discussing non expanding bullets, and dangerous game animals, so frontal area and mass ruled the day, but it still is a calculation worth running.

Having taken the odd longish poke on game I can say I want decent mass and as much impact velocity I can muster.
The .308, and the 6.5’s(medium action) aren’t what I’d intentionally take to shoot an elk on the north side of 450 that’s for sure.

There are no absolutes