View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 07:06 PM

Default 90hp or 60hp etec tiller motor?

I had my 80hp yamaha tiller motor crater on me a few weeks ago and I have been getting quotes and trying to figure out which motor to go with.

My boat was a single console alumacraft that was rated for an 80hp when it was a console but the tiller version of the same boat is rated for a 60hp. My best quote on a brand new motor is for an etec. I can either go to a 60hp and be legal like the original tiller version was or go with a 90hp and be over both the 80hp single console tag that is on my boat and the original tiller rating.

I would go with a 75hp but it is the exact same motor and will actually cost me more then the 90hp would so there is no point in doing that. I might as well get the 90hp and throw some 75hp decals on it.

I think the 60hp will be a few thousand dollars cheaper which is a bonus for me and it will also be easier on gas and weighs pretty much 100lbs less then the 75/90hp version.

I am just not sure if the cheaper cost, lighter weight, and less gas usage is a solid trade off for the extra power from the 90hp. If I go with the 90hp I also won't be able to fish tournaments in the states.

Lets hear what you guys think the best option is. I am hoping to get one and get it rigged onto the boat next weekend.