Thread: grizzly spotted
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
I have to ask, RE, Grizz...
How do you guys and gals keep the thoughts in the back of your mind when you're in the field. Especially when dressing an animal. Knowing, truthfully there are so many Grizzly out there... I'm a paraplegic, so I always have someone with me yet it is very unnerving to me. Son of gun, even with a few people on hand, they come in totally unafraid, aiming to take what they want.

I admire those who spend days in the field, sleeping under the stars, doing what we all love. Even with 'top of the food chain' hunters out there.
Attitude and awareness. I’m out there and yogi better run or I’ll feed him to the magpies (no I haven’t had to yet). I’ve made up my mind there is one allowable reaction from a bear within rifle range that becomes aware of my presence, he better run like his tail is on fire.

Awareness come in many forms: checking your back trail often, paying attention to the birds and squirrels and smells, keeping the gun loaded and in reach, wearing bear spray as soon as your outta the truck, being able to disassemble an animal quickly, hanging the meat in a spot visible from a distance, leaving sweaty clothes around.

And like the guys are saying, driving to work is far more dangerous. It’s all what you’re used to.