View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Hypocrite, If you think that making parks is for the betterment of Albertans better think again. Shannon has here own agenda and that is to limit the use of the forestry weather it be for campers, ohv users, anglers or hunters and so far it is work as planned just look at what she has done in the south country. She has done a bang up job if your a supporter of y2y.
What an articulate and well reasoned post.

I hate to judge a book by its cover, but perhaps with a handle like RZR I know where you place hunting on the hierarchy of camping, OHV use, hiking, horseback riding angling and hunting?

I support a multiple use framework which includes ATV's, hikers, horsemen, and hunters and anglers, but I do not think that means everywhere should be open to ATV use or accessible for random motor home camping either. That is just my take as a hunter and fly fisherman. In the same way I think that backcountry huts in the Castle Wildland dilutes the wilderness experience, I hold the same view of ATV's. I also acknowledge that Alberta has a culture of ATV use that there has to be places where this is allowed to continue. My hope is that a reasonable compromise is reached where there are areas in the Bighorn Wildland accessible for the RZR's and Joe's of the world and other areas that are still accessible to both of you if you are willing to park the machines. I too have concerns in what has occurred in the Castle (for me it is the huts, but I get the frustration over the current trail network or lack thereof). It is my hope that it doesn't occur in the Bighorn, and I sincerely believe it won't given the significant backlash and coverage. It is unfortunate that the Castle situation did not erupt in quiet the same way, but I think much of the Bighorn backlash has been driven by some of the false promises that occured in the Castle Wildland.