Thread: Elk Bullets
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2024, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
This much I know is Pathfinder76 has killed a pile of elk, I’ll take his advice over just about anyone else’s on what a good elk bullet is.

The other thing I know is, match/target bullets dressed up as an adequate big game bullet is not a recipe for success. If you wanna prescribe to the grenade in the innards camp, you’re gonna be left with a lost critter or a lousy recovery on your hands, it’s just a matter of time.

I want the bullet that does the job when things aren’t perfect, instead of a bullet only that gets the job done when things are perfect.
I’m talking about angled presentations, and the opps, I pulled into the shoulder kind of aren’t perfects……..
When you say “I know” does that mean you have personally shot animals, not one but many, with ELDM, TMK, ELDX and have seen failure to get sufficient penetration to the offside when shot in the front half?

I have no doubt that Pathfinder76 has shot many elk. There’s others here that have shot a few as well. Mythical creatures they are not though.

I used magnums and Barnes, partitions and accubonds for years. I subscribed to all the same teachings and spoke about how it was required for elk because they were so tough. Frankly I don’t care what anyone uses but I find it funny how hard it is for people to think outside the box even though there is more than enough compelling info available that is opposite from the magnumitus premium bullet gospel from the past.

The one thing I will agree with is Barnes cause less meat damage than the Match bullets.