Thread: Morel Mushrooms
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlin View Post
hey keg ,i find shaggies all the time,how did you store them for keeping ?mine tend to turn bad .do you freeze?
Sorry I missed this question.

We partially fry them, then freeze them.

Cooking, even partial cooking stops the decomposition process. IE the spoiling you talk about.

Shaggys start to decompose the moment you pick them. They can decompose in as little as four hours. Rough handling accelerates the decomposition process.
So,

Handle them gently, don't bother collecting specimens with any darkening along the bottom rim of the cap. Don't stack them on top of each other, I use egg trays. I place each mushroom, cap down in it's own egg cup.

Keep them as cool as possible and try to get them cooked in less then four hours.

You only need to cook them until they start to change colour. Then spread them on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer to flash freeze them.
Once frozen, bag them and return them to the freezer until you want to use them.

One last thing. Decomposition, turning black does not make them poisonous or anything, but they do get incredibly bitter tasting.