View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
For those that are not aware:

Many of us were shooting long before the laser range finders came out ad remember zeroing our rifles for a maximum point blank range.
Using this theory, a shooter would zero their rifle so the bullet wold never be above or below a certain radius, ,about 4" , so that would be in a 8" circle.

In those days unless you had a monstrosity like the Barr and Stroud ( I have owned two of them) you had to estimate (and the the Barr and Stroud was nothing to carry around !!) and a flatter shooting gun was a great advantage to those that hunted and shot the longer distances.

Today it is not nearly so important ( in fact if you are using a laser range finder, I find it totally unimportant ) to shoot a cartridge that is particularly of flat trajectory if one is using a range finder.
The interesting thing is, most I know have shot far more animals well within the MPBR of their rifles than outside of it,and most were within distances that a range finder was not needed.

I never really worried about it myself, but I am a heavy for calibre, slower velocity type hunter as opposed to a lighter for calibre , higher velocity type hunter.
Each has its advantages, ad draw backs.
Cat
I must be getting old. I still don't own a rangefinder. I've gotten used to using the reticles on my scope to estimate range, that and getting close. Most of the guys Ive hunted with recently pack them however. Definately an advantage, I just can't be bothered to pack one myself.