View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
6.8 SPC boltheads are not impossible to acquire for a bolt-action. I know for a fact PTG makes them.

That's a custom barrel... Apples to oranges.

This seems like the typical response around here... "Well my ______ is better than your ______."
No objective criticism, just "mine is better" or other negative comments.
It's no wonder I don't come around her very often, or am reluctant to start threads. It's like Jr-high all over again.
I thought CGN was bad, you guys make them look good...

It's not apples to oranges but you've got to read between the lines. I'll spell it out.

Yes it's a custom barrel. Last I checked I don't have a 224 Valkyrie in my safe either. If a guys buying or building a fast .224 to "defy gravity" I'm thinking one should go with something near the top of the performance heap. If it's not commonly available, easily built, components aren't readily available or for any other reason proprietary I'm probably not interested.

The 224 Valkyrie boasts 34.5 grain h2o case capacity

22-250 has 43 grain case capacity.

.224 Valkyrie says 3k fps with a 75 grain load.

My 22-250 will spit 70 grain vld's at 3450 fps.

I haven't shot heavier then 70 grain bullets yet so I cant compare a 90 grain load but with nearly 25% case capacity my 22-250 will always shoot a comparable bullet faster. I can also go to nearly any gun store and buy ammo for an affordable price (like that would ever happen...).

I can find 22-250 brass anywhere, I had a 22-250 with a shot out barrel and I know shooting heavier bullets is an advantage in a lot of scenarios. Custom barrels are expensive but not as expensive as setting up another rifle. Hence, I'll say again, a 1-7" twist 22-250 will walk all over this new round. The hype on the internet isn't enough to sway my opinion.

If it came out in a non restricted, accurate, semi auto platform that wasn't available in a better round and brass was readily available and affordable for the .224 Valkyrie I might change my mind. I wouldn't go chasing a donor bolt action rifle and pay to have the bolt face modified and a Valkyrie barrel screwed on as it offers nothing that other rounds don't do better. At this point it's a non starter.