View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Banned

Default The sage of the gifted Husquavarna 243...

Hello all...

...continues...

The rifle extractor has been fixed and the rifle action has been pillar bedded and the barrel free-floated by an experienced and competent gunsmith. Prior to this work I was getting around three inch groups with factory ammo. I took the rifle out this morning to sight it in after reinstalling the scope. Using factory ammo (Remington CoreLokt 100 gr.) I shot 4 3-shot groups at 100 yards from a rock solid rest in a very light breeze and got the following results:

2.67 inch group
2.13 inch group
2.78 inch group
2.07 inch group

In my view these results are barely adequate for a hunting rifle, particularly from an excellent condition Husquavarna chambered in 243. I should note that the trigger is stiff (~ 7 lbs.) but although this is not to my liking, I did not get the sense that I was pulling the shots (too much!!) In light of all of the above, my questions to you all are these:

1. Given the above results, would you expect the groups to tighten up using tweaked handloads, and if so, by how much?
2. Do you have a favorite recipe for a 243 using 100 gr. Nosler Partition bullets?
3. Would you expect a trigger job or a new trigger to significantly improve these results and if so, by how much?

Thanks in advance for all your input...

Best regards

Capthook