View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Blades

Default crossbows

Well, how about that! My grey matter still works!
I have not posted for a while, but I have really enjoyed the banter on the 2 crossbow threads... to which I would like to add to and correct some terminology. First, I will tell exactly where I stand on this issue. I am an authorized dealer of Excalibur Crossbows in Alberta, however, I only sell maybe 5 in a year...mostly less, so making money is a very small driving factor for me to have crossbows in archery season.(darn, the cat is out of the bag....lol) I believe in education, so I am an instructor(with AHEIA) for hunter-training, restricted and non-restricted firearms, I instruct a "crossbow basics" course, and put on a "Crossbow Information Seminar" to any interested groups as well. The only one offered in Alberta, to the best of my knowledge. I am also(on my own free time) collecting signatures to include crossbows in archery season. BTW I hunt with a vertical bow, and of course, my guns.
For those of you that are interested in a magazine dedicated to horizontal bows, check out www.horizontalbowhunter.com
I would like to address a couple of terms that I think are 'misnomers'.
1 "Crossgun" - as Rob so nicely put it, a bow goes phhhht, a gun goes bang. A horizontal bow goes phhhht....and for those of you that are hung up on the stock thing,(the trigger is just a mechanical release) a quick history lesson is in order. Long before the firearm or cannon was invented, someone mounted a bow on a stock(horizontally), so from a historical point of view, the gun is a hand cannon mounted on a crossbow stock. Be careful what is used as a basis for comparison. And Rob is quite correct in saying that a horizontal bow does not 'kick', but jumps forward....I get asked that alot too.
2 bolt vs arrow - simple misguided transfer of terminology....an arrow has 4 basic components; nock, fletching, shaft, and some form of a point(broadhead, field, etc) A bolt is minus one of these components...the fletching. So a horizontal bow flings an arrow(be it a short one) Also see the pricing list from Excalibur...identified as 'arrows'.
I am glad to see that there is now an understanding on what a horizontal bow will and will not do as per hunting distances. I did an experiment and wrote an article on it, If anyone is interested, contact me...(maybe Rob will publish it...he he..JOKE, Rob) One thing that does bother me on this subject, is the understated fact of how much noise a horizontal bow makes on release of the string. The noise does factor in, especially when the game animal is at distances greater than 30 to 35 yds. The bulk of kills is made at under 30 yds.(in my reaserch)
How about stalking game? Pack one around all day, then come back and talk to me...I do recomend that when stalking, you can do it with the bow drawn, but refrain from nocking an arrow untill necessary.(best judgement senario) I will discuss this further if anyone wants to go there.

"guess I should ask how will bowhunters benefit from allowing them?" Let me take a stab at this....
(what follows is actually true, from Georgia stats)
Bowhunters are recruited earlier and retained longer...let me elaborate....
Kids that show interest in archery can be taken out hunting before they have the strength to draw and hold the required 40 lbs...it is a 'one shot deal', great for parents from a safety perspective. Want to teach your kids or grandkids the finer points of bow hunting? Get the kids hunting! As they mature it is natural that a bigger challenge is in order...they will move onto the vertical bow.(great recruitment, EH?) As the hunter ages,(50 +) the vertical bow gets harder to use due to injury and plain old wear and tear of getting older.(anyone know what I mean?) The perfect solution to keeping these people 'in the game' is.....you guessed it...the horizontal bow. IMO the ABA(great group BTW) is nuts not to use this to their advantage.
As for the 'disabled permit'......you have to have a upper body paralysis or missing a limb, period. AND to top it off, after the doctor gives you documented proof of your disability, it is completely up to the PERSONAL OPINION of the F&W officer on duty weather or not you get the permit. If he does not like horizontal bows, guess what?...... you are S O L. And this is a stick in my craw, because it happened to several members of my family.

Just an opinion after reading through some of the medeviel history of the crossbow,...the church banned the use of the crossbow for 2 reasons....1 it could pierce a knights armour, and 2 small hand held crossbows were considered an assassins weapon. The stigma seems to have stuck to modern day.
Poacher's weapon? hahahahaha!!! give me a break....ever try to stick one out a truck window?
The scope seems to be a point of contention.....it is usually no more than 2.5 power and is useful in light-gathering ability in low light....much like the fibre-optic pins on a vertical bow. The scope does not help to shoot further. Personal preference.
The time is well past to catagorize the horizontal bow to where it really belongs......as archery tackle.

Todd