View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 10:13 AM

I had a 16' Sylvan with a 90 hp Yamaha 2 stroke on it for 6 years. Just changed over to a 18.5' Lund with a 150 4 stroke Merc and a 9.9 Merc Pro Kicker this spring. I was a bit nervous about switching from Yamaha to Merc as I've had great luck with Yamaha everything. That said, I couldn't believe how much quieter the Merc was over the Yamaha (likely 2 stroke vs 4 more than brand) and the FI vs carb was huge too. Starts way easier, uses less gas, is quieter, and has QR codes on the motor to pull up how to maintenance videos on youtube. So far I have been very happy with the 150 4 stroke Merc. the 9.9 Pro Kicker has been a little less impressive as it's carbed and can be a pain to get fired up first thing. Once it has been going it's good but that initial startup is painful. If I had to do it over again I would do a Suzuki 9.9 as they are EFI.

BTW, you can order a Lund with a Honda motor from factory. I believe that Riverside will put a Yamaha on for you. Brokers in Camrose will put a Evinrude on a Lund for you too. I looked at Alumacraft boats (the Edge mostly) and couldn't get past the smaller livewell accesses. Not easy to put a pike in or out of.

SS