View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
if you felt threatened just because you own the same vehicle as a poacher.... then you have insecurity issues. 999,999 of 1,000,000 can understand that one case or in your example one beige sienna driver doesn't imply that all other beige sienna drivers are going to be the same person. And 99% of that 1 in 1,000,000 dont have the balls to actually confront someone anyways. Just run to the internet to act tough. Step out from your shelter my friend. If you paint the world with such a coarse brush as you do the racists then you are really no different. Seriously, if your that paranoid that mankind is so terrible that you are afraid that because you share a the color of skin/ vehicle as one reported poacher, that they will lash out against you then you are no better. If you want to truely benefit and help change the way society thinks then I suggest you take your own advice and "stand up" but not on the internet but where your hidden. thats what the racists do. drive that beige sienna with pride, fish legally, and when someone says oh theres a beige mini van and sees you releasing your fish they will go... "oh, i guess thats not them, maybe toyota made more than one...." and from then on they probably wont even notice when a beige minivan pulls up.

I take it from the tone of your post that you are of an eastern ancestral decent. Given your paranoia of backlash against something that people post online, I think you are a little sensitive to the word "asian". and honestly do not take it the wrong way but I seriously think that you need to get some thicker skin (no racial pun intended). I have several asian friends. and I know that several on this forum of that decent do not find the word at all to be negative. It definitely can be used negatively...... but in terms of identifying an individual, a very functional tool. and someone laid it out very well earlier in this thread but I will try to put it a different way. If I was a sketch artist and I was sketching a culprit..... Ethnicity is a crucial starting point. Blacks, Whites, Browns, and asians have very very very different facial features. and yes, I am sure that Chinese and Japanese and whoever else do too. However, socially they are typically grouped together. Not because we are being racist whites. but because in our culture, we have never had to distinguish between the two like one would if they were livign in china or japan. Also, the physical characterises between the two cultures are very similar. In some individuals it is easier to distinguish between the two cultures but in several it is not. Especially when they are "westernised". Eye shape, nose, facial shape, facial structure. These would all be crucial to a sketch artist for an ACCURATE depiction of a culprit. All these features are different across blacks, whites, browns and asians. If i was sketching someone and the witness at the last minute said oh and hes black. I would smack him upside the head because i would need to start my drawing all over again. As stated above. It is not and should not be a negative word. unfortunately it some times is used in a negative tense. and I know several that agree with me. And seriously, if you have a problem with that, then you damn well better learn how to distinguish between a Canadian and an american because i know lots of people that would want to punch the person in the face for grouping the two in the same category...... good luck with that.
This is where we'll have to disagree. We are not F&W. We are not sketch artists. We're a fishing community and quite frankly, we don't need need a race description for every poaching activity. I'm sorry that you cannot see how irrelevant a race description is on a fishing forum. It serves zero purpose on this forum, except to spread stereotypes. If you can describe just 1 purpose a race description has on this forum, I'd be happy to eat my words.

Also, I've said this many times, but I do not find the word Asian to be offensive and I embrace what I am. If you can't feel the hostility and ignorance by some members of this forum, then there's nothing else I can say. You choose to ignore the words/actions of the idiots out there and ask me to grow thicker skin... interesting.