View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
People worry so much about this but the reality is when you look at arrow ballistics.... hitting the right spot at that distance is much more important than penetration....

Penetration is about momentum..... momentum is speed x mass.....

I am finally seeing many article published on this that are getting it right!....

An arrow at 100 yards has about 87% of the momentum that it did at 20 yards....or at 60 yards it has 98% of momentum it had at 40 yards which is pretty small difference.....

So lets look at it this way a 60lb bow at 100 has same power as a 52 lb bow at 20!....

With sharp fixed bladed broad-heads there is more than enough momentum for penetration out to well beyond 100 yards with a 60 lb bow!.....

I have done lots of testing and have made many observations regarding arrow penetration.... Now that is where I like shooting longer distances for testing, not practice.... I have a huge foam block and it is interesting to shoot at 100 yards.... (broadhead tuning issues sure show up!)

BUT again it comes down to placement, shooting an animal in the arse at 20 yards or 100 yards is still an animal shot in the arse....and a vital hit at 20 yards will be a vital hit at 100 yards....

Got me thinking, thanks. Do you have any articles to share?

This was the best info I could find on arrow drop off speeds
http://excaliburcrossbow.org/content/arrow_ballistics

According to that, you're looking at 10% drop in velocity/momentum at 50yards. Far greater than 2% @ 60yards.
*and about 15% loss of KE

That said, even 15% drop off should give more than enough penetration at 60 yards.