View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Those who say 30 or less....elk standing at 40.... clear shot, do you take it or pass?

LC
...and that's why I'd never say "____ or less" in the first place. Why place unnecessary psychological limits on what might turn out to be a practically perfectly fine scenario?

There's been some great posts in this thread explaining the science of momentum/penetration, and, I think the science is fairly clear that an arrow is substantially lethal far past what most would consider "ethical" distances. The human factor is THE factor.

For myself, I never box myself into a set of pre-determined limitations before encountering an opportunity for a shot - it's impossible and unrealistic to place broad-brush limitations on all contributing factors. There are three basic factors I consider before any shot...

1) Is the position of the animal offering a good opening to the vitals?

2) Am I confident I can place the arrow where I want it at the given distance?

3) Am I reasonably certain the animal's behaviour is suggesting that the potential for "time-of-flight" error is minimal? (The animal is not spring-loaded and ready to bolt for example).

When I have the green light to these three factors, distance is not the end-all-be-all, and I will take the shot.

I got the green light for all three on my Muley this year at 63yds. The arrow passed clean through and stuck in the ground on the other side. If the green lights were on, I wouldn't hesitate at an Elk at 30, 40, 50, 60,...

Last edited by Artist; 10-08-2015 at 10:46 PM.