View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
I will bite and go first with a newbie question. I will be baiting on private land for the first time this year. My question is just about timing of baiting/hunting. For example, if I am working during the day all week with baiting in the evening, when should I be hunting if I plan on hunting during the weekend? I just do not want to walk into my bait station and with bears and blow them out or does that not tend to happen? Thanks for any help!
I don’t worry to much about it in the spring. I’ve had bears I had to throw logs at to get off the bait when I show up. Bears in the back of my Jeep eating while I’m packing food to the bait. Bears feeding on the bait while I’m skinning a bear I just shot and bears that showed back up on the bait before I had finished pulling my bow and backpack up to my stand. In the spring I’ve never had to wait more then an hour for my target bear to show up and usually less then five minutes for the first bears to show back up after I disturbed them.

In the fall I’ve had totally different “luck”. I’ve attempted to be careful, sneaky and strategic and it’s only resulted in target bears going nocturnal and or circling the bait, winding me, huffing and popping their teeth and not coming in until after I left. I just bear hunt in the spring now.