View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 07:31 PM

Since you are fishing on your last day of your trip I would just gut them and put them on ice in a cooler for the trip home then fillet and package once you get home. Or if you don't want to do the work yourself find somewhere to process and vacuum pack then just put on ice for the trip home. I wouldn't worry about freezing them since its only going to be a day on ice and if you freeze them then you need to try and find dry ice or salt ice to keep the fish frozen on the drive home.

If you were going to be out there for a few days after your fishing trip it would be different but if you are coming back straight away I find freezing fish while out there to just be extra hassle.

Salt ice does a darn good job of keeping fish frozen, not as good as dry ice but less hassle. I don't know if or where you can get it in Vancouver but I know a couple of spots on Vancouver Island. We had frozen fish in a cooler full of salt ice for ~27 hours and it was only just starting to thaw around the outside edges when we got home.