View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 01:54 PM

Post Jiffy 3 HP Model 30

Bought a Jiffy Model 30 3 HP (Tecumseh, now discontinued) 10" 3 years ago because I THOUGHT it was the biggest and baddest so it must be the best. Never operated a power auger before that. Did not do my research at the time.

It's as strong as an ox, practically no plastic but weighs as much as an ox too. I'm a big guy so I can handle it but after trying some "smaller" augers, I would have opted for something else at the time, regardless of brand.

Yes, I can speak for my auger; it is finicky. Tuning, tuning, tuning all the time and 2 screws not just one. It does not run the same in fluctuating temperatures so it needs tuning which is frustrating and time consuming when you just want to get your lines down ASAP. But it works and get's the job done so I guess I'll stick with it. The new Jiffys seem more user friendly and they have improved the tourque on the smaller engines so I'm not neccessarily against Jiffy.

I tried premium gas, better oils, Jiffy products, stabilizer and all of the things that you all do maximize performance but it still needs tuning at different temps. Sometimes I have to drill my holes at full choke, sometimes 1/2 choke and sometimes no choke. On the other hand there is nothing broken on it and I have not done anything to it other than straighten and sharpen the original blades when I hit bottom earlier this year.

If I win a new auger at a derby, I will be selling my current auger cheap or giving it to someone who really needs an auger and isn't in the financial position to be able to afford one; as long as a new one gets the job done just as well or better. Jiffy may be a bit behind in applying new technology as compared to some of the other brands.

That's my Jiffy experience.