View Single Post
Old 09-14-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I prefer pillar bedding with a floated barrel, but this combination does not always improve accuracy. Now and then, I run into a rifle, that prefers a pressure pad in the stock.
Yes, some barrels perform best with a barrel/bedding “block” exerting upward pressure near the front of the forestock. (And some factory stocks even have a “bump” in the barrel channel.). Personally, I think the “bump” is a cheap way to dampen vibration in a skinny barrel...). Back in the day when I ran into the bump/block, I sanded it out and replaced it with a “neutral” bedding block.
To create a neutral bedding block ... place two bands of tape about an inch apart accross the barrel channel a few inches back of the forestock tip ... place epoxy in the space between the tape (the tape is just to keep the job neat) ... set the barreled action (release agent where epoxy will touch)... torque the guard/action screws to spec and mark the position of the screw heads for future reference ... remove barreled action when epoxy is cured and clean up. Now you have a neutral bedding block that is touching the barrel but exerting no upward pressure. Shoot to access group size. Remove the barreled action and place an aluminum shim on the bedding block (pop can works well - even has a bit of curve for a good fit). Reassemble with the screw heads set back to the reference marks. Shoot and assess. Repeat 2-3 more times, adding another shim each time. Once you get the best performance, you are done. If there is no difference, go back to the barrel block with no shims (neutral) and accept the result as your reality. No harm done.