View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
The brakes on the train don't need air pressure to be applied. They actually work in reverse. The train brakes need air pressure to release and charge the brake system, and then it is a reduction in pressure that applies them.

As equipment gets older, it will develop leaks in some of the reservoirs on each separate train car. As these air reservoirs slowly leak air into the trainline, it starts a chain reaction of each car pumping air into the system. (remember this is without the engines running) As 1 car releases, it starts pumping air into the trainline, which in turn causes the cars beside it to also start pumping more air into the trainline. Eventually all air brakes release.
It's been awhile since I taken my air brake course, and the train setup is different. so essentially each car has it's own air pump/reservoir/brakes, with a common "header" linked between each car that is fed by the locomotive? And your saying that once one car starts leaking, the pump from another car will attempt to fill it, and actually causing the brakes to release.

1st question that comes to my mind.. Why are the pumps (on the individual cars), working if the locomotive isn't started (and air from it being put into the header).

Seems the automotive style air brake would prevent this completely. Not only that, it would prevent them from having to use these "derail" or handbrakes.

Obviously I'm missing something.