View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
I think it’s merely to illustrate the difference in future offspring if you are given the choice between shooting a cow vs. a bull?
Again,Ontario has been promoting this model for decades,but I honestly don’t remember if adult tags there are sex specific,I’m guessing they are not if the MNR feels compelled to include this chart with the moose draw facts booklet?
I can tell you however that NB for one and probably other provinces,moose tags are valid for either sex,in NB a moose is a moose is a moose,if you get drawn shoot whatever you want bull,cow,or calf.With NB tags so hard to draw average 15year wait and a short 5 day season(was 3 days until just a few years ago) many hunters will whack the first moose they can put x-hairs on as for many it’s almost a once in a lifetime tag.
The reproduction model is merely informative for hunters in places like Alberta where tags are sex specific,it’s not like we have a choice to shoot one or the other anyhow.
I sure hope not.

The chart is so simplistic in terms of the effects of hunting mortality in population management as to be useless, thus faulty to a point of being nothing but propaganda.

Promoting this kind of "educational information" does not benefit hunting in itself or wildlife management that includes hunting.

If hunters and wildlife agencies can't or won't grasp and proffer realistic education as to the reasons and effects of hunting induced mortality on specific populations then there will be great difficulty in maintaining hunting as a critical part of wildlife conservation.

Let's not be that special kid....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."