View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
Running faster than "the other guy" does not equate to running faster than the bear. What if the bear chooses you instead of the slower guy? If I had to choose between "a slower guy" or a shotgun to be my lifeline in the event of a bear attack, I'd take the shotgun any day. (The fact that I hunt alone removes the "slower guy" option anyway. LOL... this is kinda turning into a pointless conversation I guess, but, I simply come back to the main point. Saying that bears are too fast, so don't bother carrying a shotgun, is like saying, fire is too fast, hot, and unpredictable, so don't bother having a fire extinguisher in your home.
I am not knocking you, do what ever you want out there. Good to be prepared, if you want to carry all that stuff with you go for it, no sweat off my back, hope you never have to use it. Personally I think the lighter the better, bears in general are not that aggressive, if they came to the call they were just curious. I once saw a bear that I thought was a brown colored black. I intercepted him in his route. Turned out to be a sow grizz at 30 yards. I took my arrow and tapped it on the bow making a ratteling sound. She took off like her butt was on fire, didn't even look my way.