View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 09:16 PM

I don't carry.
Have been thinking about putting bear spray in my fanny pack though, just to be on the safe side.

I've been actively trying to stock almost every black bear I've ever encountered on foot when bow hunting - with no success to date.
Bears have terrible eyesight (which inevitably causes most close human encounters...); but there other senses are better than most all other animals in the bush. Wind or terrain have never worked in my favor, but I'll tell you it's been difficult to say the least. One time, a long time ago I was crawling in on a moose with my rifle; to have a bear stand up about 20 yards away to see about the noise I was making (he was in the tall grass). Not only was he gone so fast once I saw me that I couldn't get a shot, him standing up was enough for the moose to saunter off as well. The only scenario where I MIGHT worry about it; is a sow with a cub or two, or three, and getting in the middle of them - which can be avoided with a humans best weapon, common sense.

To be completely honest; I think I'm a bit more worried about the real predators fellas; Cats and big dogs.

But I do understand the concern; statistics considered a bear attack can happen - probability is not 0. *Although highly unlikely considering that a wild pig typically eats more meat than a black bear.