View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Don't mean to hijack this thread...but does anyone know who might have a 527 Varmint in stock, in 17 Hornet?

I'm warming up to the idea of getting one.
I bought one new, for around 1100$. CZ527 varmint. Even came with a 3 shot factory group. Not at all happy with that choice. A year later, it's much better but what a challenge.

The trigger was not set up at the factory. A set-trigger and sometimes it would set, sometimes it wouldn't set, sometimes when you set it, it would fire as soon as you set it. The 'regular' trigger was so tight you had to use 2 fingers to fire it.

The mag was just punched out and put together. The edges were not finished at all. You put rounds in it and they didn't slide out, they scraped out. Took pieces of brass off as they were cycled. The spring in the mag was also way too tight. A 10 round mag, but you could only get 5 or 6 in there.

lt did not shoot very good at all, between that and the trigger. The 3 shot factory group either came from another rifle or they shot it with the barrel in a vise at 20 feet.

To look at it, at first glance, it is beautiful. But cosmetically only. Typical
third world product, at local prices.

I bought it because I was looking for a 17 Hornet in CZ. Savage makes one but I heard that they have troubles cycling.I found this one and bought it primarily because all the reviews on them was really good. I made a big mistake; I only shot a few rounds through it. Because of all the problems it had. Then got real busy and before I knew it a few months went by. Took it back to Wolverine, (after all, it did have a one year warranty on it) and they wouldn't do anything at first cuz I'd had it so long by then. Had to call the owner of the store. They agreed to send it back on warranty. When it finally came back many months later, the factory repair depot (whoever that is) said it was all within spec. Wolverine was pretty good to me. At first. They sent it to a gunsmith, who adjusted the trigger properly. Still had the clip problem and the bedding problem. They said they would re-bed it for me/fix the stock problem. They emailed me once after I specified to be phoned as I don't check my emails very often. I got back to them and asked to be phoned but no calls yet, 8 months later.

The trigger is really nice, now. Almost as nice as a Tikka. As long as you don't use the set-trigger. The main trigger breaks cleanly, at about 2 lbs. Just where I like it. Almost no over-creep. The set trigger is useless though. About 1/4 in over-travel after it breaks. So I just forget it's there.

I took the clip apart as it was ruining all my brass. Filed/sanded the edges, took a coil off the spring. Not perfect yet, but better, useable at least. Definitely not a Tikka. Need to spend another evening at it.

Looks like I'll have to do the stock repairs myself too.

Just my experience. The reviews are mostly really good. I'm sure I'm the exception. I think mine was made in the last hour on a Friday. Couple that with a 3rd world country product and then paying zero attention to quality control -?

Last edited by aardvaark; 10-20-2017 at 12:54 PM.