View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Ahhhhhhhhh Lefty. I can always count on you to twist someones words around so you can come off as being superior. Obviously you have missed the intent of what I am trying to say or more likely just being your ussual condenscending self. I'ts not the length of the antler in BC vs AB, but the wording of the regulation in BC vs AB. To put it even more simply for you, in AB you have to be certain BOTH antlers are legal and in BC you only have to be certain of ONE.
To make it even still easier for you to understand my point why don't we try a picture? We will use the pic I posted at the start of this thread. The hunter shot that deer thinking he was harvesting a Supplemental Antlerrless Whitetail. He could not see the small 3" horn hiding behind the ear that was broadside to him. He also could not see that mutant 5" horn sticking straight out to the side on far side of the deer. The deer looked just like an Antlerless should. After knocking deer down and walking up to it hunter realized that deer had small antlers. Even worse that mutant antler was 5" long, making it an Antlered deer.
This is where the reg. wording comes in. 1 The wording of AB's regs make this an Antlered deer. 2 The wording of BC's regs would make it an Antlerless deer. So in 1 the hunter has now committed a crime even if it was an honest mistake and in 2 the hunter has made a legal harvest because after carefull observation he knew that the side of the head he could see was legal.
Keep in mind that this is not some legal document or school report that is being handed in to be graded ( except by Lefty of course), so I have given the coles notes recap of what I consider to be a flaw in the way the regs in AB are now.
Bottom line, it just seems less complicated if a hunter only has to be sure that one side of the head or one antler is legal instead of both sides, and leaves less room for error.

p.s. I had to explode lefties brain with this last observation but by a twist of fate using BC's wording of the regs, the deer in the picture could be considered both Antlered and Antlerless. Poor guy might still be out there in the field trying to figure out what to do.
Earnest. The hunter should view the deer from multiple angles if it's even somewhat questionable. And ears move and flicker constantly. Don't just throw up the rifle and touch off on the trigger first chance.