View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 09:56 AM

I have a 280AI as well it is a great General purpose do everything big game rifle. Personally I don't like having rifles that overlap or serve pretty much the same purpose with 168gr bullets my 280ai only gave up about 100fps to the 7rem mag I used to have (in all fairness also comparing reloads to factory ammo) thats not enough of a difference for me to justify having both. Seeing as your other rifle is a magnum bolt face I would go big and I wouldn't do another 7mm. When I ran the numbers in order to get significantly better performance over the 280ai in a .30 you need to push the 200+ grain bullets to at least 2700fps. Assuming you reload I would go with either a 30Nosler of a 300Norma mag both out perform the 300win mag with a more modern case design. Most importantly though is determine what role you want this rifle to serve the build to suit. No point in having a Big Boomer for anything under 500m.

My personal hunting quiver right now is a

243 loaded with light bullets for coyotes heavy for deer and as a loaner rifle for newer hunters

280AI 168 grain bergers at 2950 first rifle I grab out of the safe everytime

300wsm just bought it to be a light compact hard hitting package and the wsm case has always intrigued me its an excellent design. Its going up for sale because it gives no real advantage to the 280ai with the load I worked up for it. I know deep down when it comes down to that tag of the lifetime I am grabbing the 280ai out of the safe no reason to have this rifle

Future only other hunting rifle I would consider would be a .30 or .338 boomer something that would serve dual purpose as a long range 1600+ toy and long range hunting rig.

Last edited by Freerider; 02-09-2018 at 10:07 AM.