View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 04:40 PM

The assumption here seems to be that if say mule deer were to go on a draw system for archery that there would be a separate allocation for archery tags. In past using say wmu 318 for example, when moose went to the draw system there were no separate archery allocations. Everyone had to draw from the same draw pool and then use whatever weapon you choose. Has there been any indication that a separate draw would take place for archery only? With the exception of antelope none of the other draws exist like that. I am a bowhunter as well as a rifle hunter but see no harm in having to apply for draws for mule deer and moose the same as everyone else. If I choose to harvest that animal with a bow I will have an early season to do so. One of the other arguments is that bowhunters presently do not take away from the opportunity of those who don't bowhunt. That isn't exactly so. When SRD is determining the amount of animals they would like to see harvested in a given WMU they look at the total population and the desired population and then take into account the projected archery harvest for that area. The remaining quantity would then be subject to the draw. The way I see it the animal harvest as a result of a general mule/moose tags for archery directly affects the amount of licenses available to everyone.