View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 12:48 PM

Default Winches and Winch Accessories

Finally used some synthetic rope this year. I have the usual 3/8" 95 foot wire rope on my Warn 9000 LB winch. Got stuck in a place this fall that I needed to snatch block the pull as it would not budge with just the winch single lined. Good thing I have a 100' synthetic winch extension that I bought from CND Rope about ten years ago. (CND is located on the South side of Edmonton and will custom make any size and length) Bought is after getting stuck in a swamp a long ways from any trees about 11 years ago. Had not needed to winch in about ten years, but when you do stick that big Dodge you are really stuck.

After using the synthetic rope for the first time I liked it so much I decided to swap out the main winch line. The synthetic is way lighter, far more flexible, safer and much easier to work with. Its only draw back is it is not as abrasion resistant as wire but it also doesn't have those sharp broken or flattened areas after use. The extension I already have I got here in Edmonton and at the time it was far and away the best priced option. Less than half what Warn wanted for the same thing. When I went back to get a main line their prices have almost tripled. Decided that was a little too expensive so started doing some shopping. I checked out 4 Wheel Parts on the south side as they generally have excellent pricing, along with Alberta Offroad and they were nearly the same price as CND. Found the same product on Amazon for $149 Canadian versus the $625 local price.

The synthetic rope was supplied by Ranger. There were cheaper options but they didn't look as well finished or put together. It arrived with a built in shackle connection and a 3/4' shackle, no hook. Both were really good quality so ordered a spare snatch block for pulling at an angle, a couple more shackles, a Synthetic shackle, tree save and Half Link safety clevis hook. Have now received all of them and am very happy with the quality of the products. Great fit and finish, everything works perfect and less than half the cost of local gear, some were a quarter the local price.

Anyone else find a good source for Winches, and winch accessories. Anyone have an opinion on synthetic winch line as your main line for pulling?