View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
BBT,

Of the <>40 fly rods hanging around here, I have 2 that are multipiece. A 8'6" 6 wt. 5 pc that back packed when my knees still allowed that and a 4 pc. 2 tip 7'6" 4 wt. bamboo rod that was built from off-cuts just to see if I could do it. The bamboo rod went to Great Slave Lake last year for the grayling. It was used to landed a 25" fish.
I have no 1 piece rods. Built one once - broke it and that ended that silliness.
The rest are mostly 2 pc. rods.
The bamboo rods are fished when the lure weight allows it. A 6 wt. rod is the heaviest I build. When fishing bass poppers/sliders/Clousers for either bass or pike I use graphite rods in 8 wt. or greater. For trout sized flies, bamboo works just fine. The rods I regularly use vary from a 6'0" 2 wt to 8'0" 6 wts.

And pikergolf,

It take a lot more effort to make 3 or 4 piece rods. Effort translates to labour costs and $'s. Plus in the case of bamboo- extra ferrules @ $50 a set.

catch ya'

Don
I don't buy that, how does it take more effort? I'm not talking bamboo, only graphite. Has to be a reason manufacturers are pushing four piece fly rods.