View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 11:49 PM

Glad that is so for you sns2.

I was a SRAC silhouette competitor for 2 years, 2007 and 2008. Then I shifted my competitive focus to IPSC (action handgun). In those two years I shot 24 smallbore matches, with a 22LR rifle. Some were in the Lethbridge coulee, most in Cranbrook BC. Both are fantastic facilities.

My average score was not great, usually hitting less than half of the available targets. During that time, I raised my classification by one rank, from the novice's "B" to the "A" level. Those scores make me a punter, but a half-decent offhand rifle shot nonetheless. If you knew my name you could verify my "claims" online. The takeaway for you sns2 is that I am not a highpower silhouette shooter, or a 500 yard shooter of any kind.

My comments about what's possible offhand at 500 comes from having witnessed true greatness and sportsmanship when I competed at the 2007 Silhouette Nationals in Cranbrook. My takeaway from the prize table was a silicone bbq chicken baster. lol.

The highpower rifle guys were truly able to repeatedly hit 32"x26" rams at 500meters. I spotted some hits and the top shooters were regularly getting centre third hits rather than edge hits.

So then, since Rman's target measures 24", his performance falls within what I've seen done by others. Furthermore, no one has put up any valid reason for me to doubt the target posted by this gentleman.