View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I’ve been fishing Nootka since the late 80’s and guided there in the late 90’s for a month in peak season each year for quite a few years. 2019 will be my last trip to Nootka. Most all of the fish on the inside are a hatchery run with the average sized Chinook being in the 18-22lb range at best. Most don’t fight that well and even a fresh Spring is not a bright chromer. It’s been going down hill for a long time now. I know a couple guys that still guide there and they can go a whole season without catching a single Spring that weighs an honest 30lbs. Bottom fishing on the outside can still be ok but it certainly isn’t what it used to be either. If you head way off shore you can hit other runs going by and possibly get into a decent Spring or some Coho but that’s weather dependant.

If you don’t have your heart set on Nootka I’d spend my money elsewhere. I could go for gas money each year but with limited time off each summer I’d rather go where it cost me more but the fishing is better. Sorry if I sound like a Debbie-Downer but it really is a shame how a once fantastic fishery is just a mere shadow of its former self.
No, all good. I appreciate it for sure. This is all about exploring around the island. Never been so on the list for sure. Also the wife is coming along and inside passage fishing will be better suited for her. If fishing is tough, so be it. Also doesn`t mean I wouldn`t go back if it is tough. As I find places that are better for the weather and the two of us that has good fly fishing to boot, then the rest is not that important. But of course I wouldn`t cry about getting a tyee. 3 times I`ve hit 29.5...really good enough anyways....but annoying at the same time .... I mean cmon! 3 times!

And, I`m now very close to North island river fly fishing for salmon for the rest of the trip