View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 08:17 AM

Default Stil on the fence

Thanks for all your input. Many of you have brought up points that I have encountered in my exploration too.

- The non-metal clip of the X-Bolt. I must admint I have a preference for the metal clip in the Sako. Edge to Sako
- The inline rotary feed on the X-Bolt. I have heard this, but I haven't had a loaded rifle in my hands to feel if this makes a big difference. It sounds important, but I don't know. Edge to X-Bolt
- Barrel length. I prefer a longer barrel. The Sako 85 has a 24 3/8 barrel while the X-Bolt has a 26". The Sako is a tad shorter, but long enough to satisfy me. edge to X-Bolt.
- Action I find the action on the Sako a tad smoother. Edge to Sako.

Some comments were recommending saving the $800 and putting it toward optics. I already made this move I have purchased the Leupold VXIII 4.5x14 with CDS Duplex. So the optics are set, I just need to determine which rifle to put under them.

My thinking at this point is that either of these rifles is a good choice. Browning is a quality gun, but Sako is a name in rifles that stands above the crowd. I have a yen for a higher quality rifle and I think Sako brings this. Should I pay $800 for this step? The scottish in me says Nay!, but he also says what's wrong with your Rem. 30.06 - it kills everything you shoot at? So I'm not listening to that side of me. He doesn't understand the schwing like the rest of me does.

I have never held a Cooper rifle, I hadn't even heard of them until I read the thread in here. I may have to check them out, but it sounds like a 300 Win Mag will still be beyond my budget.

As I evaluate my own thoughts and reactions I am starting to believe that really I want the Sako, but I am hesitating because of the difference in price. I am at a point in my life where I can afford better, and I typically go there, but I don't want to spend an extra $800 and find out it was a wasted move.

Anyway I appreciate all of your input. If there is any more please share and perhaps I'll get off the fence and make a move.

Thanks guys.