View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 09:54 AM

This conversation reminds me of how often I take "flak" from one of my buddies about how 22s are nothing but toys..lol I think that (depending on the gun, and ammo you're putting through it) someone could certainly walk away from the experience with that impression. I know his last (and only?) 22 was a Ruger 10/22 TD...probably running whatever bulk ammo was the cheapest.

I have no match-shooting aspirations, but being a serious enthusiast (and Ontarian who wished he lived/worked in AB gopher country ) sort of inspires me to see what's possible, within my relatively modest means. When you do start taking the caliber seriously, and start aspiring to buy the best (vs. the cheapest) you do uncover some interesting things...and ultimately, suprise yourself with the accuracy that is achievable. For me, what was most telling was an experience here on a farm where I do some shooting locally. (family friends) The farmer's son is in his 20s, and has zero interest in shooting. I offer every time I'm there, usually shooting clays...but often 22LR. He never takes me up on it. The first time I brought the Anschutz over, he came back on the ATV and started asking a bunch of questions about it. (probably because it doesn't look like "normal" rifle) I had it set-up @ 50 yards, testing ammo...but had the rifle zeroed with SK Standard. Easily dime-sized groups at that distance, even on the first outing. Anyhow, he asked if he could try it. I set up a fresh target, but also jammed some empty shotgun hulls (20 and 12ga #7-1/2s) into the sand, open-end down.

He chose those.

After 5 shots/5 hits, I asked him if he'd like to see the hulls fly...instead of punching holes in them. I told him to do that, he'd have to hit the metal rim..and as you know, that's around 1/4" high. 2 x 5 round mags later, he'd launched 9/10 of them into the woods. If you ask me, seeing a smile wash over the face of a guy who doesn't even like guns is telling...and he was over 100 rounds in before asking me if I'd like to take over. lol (I was loading mags, and just passing them to him)

Anyhow, fun story...and I remember it fondly. That gun has converted 2 people who have used it. Not suggesting my CZs wouldn't have done the same, more a comment on how much easier it can be to achieve good accuracy with a great tool.