View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 02:21 PM

you have to mix it up with flies on the Little Smoky depending on the surface action. when they are feeding it is non stop action on dries as long as you match the hatch. but when they are not feeding at the surface, then nymphing is the way to go. added bonus is you will also get into the whiteys that way and there are some big whites in there. and don't forget to toss a huge streamer into some of the bigger pools (like under the bridges) as there are also some nice bulls in there that are more then willing to go after a streamer or that grayling or whitey you just hooked.

most luck i have is on a green bead head nymph,blu wing olive parachute pattern, elk hair caddis (either yellow or lime green, but other colors seem to work) and ant patterns. i usually start out with the nymph until i come across surface action then change to one of the other patterns depending on time of year and conditions. they are getting a little more picky thru the years then when i first started fishing there. who says fish can't learn.

rgds
Mike