View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overparr View Post
May have to disagree with you there . using downriggers gets you to the presumed depth but when you add all the jewlery you create blow back the absolut tool to use if you want exact depth at your downriggr ball then I would suggest the fish hawk x4d give you not only temp and speed but xact depth. The only problem I have with this tool is price
For sure there is a bow in your wire and some set back - so when your rigger is down 80' it might be actually running 65' or something.

I usually just crank my sensitivity up to 100% on my HDS unit and see where the ball is trailing and make adjustments.

Once I'm happy I reset to the correct sensitivity and off we go. The amount of bow on your rigger is fairly constant given average trolling speed - so it takes a bit of experience I find.

I use speed off the GPS head unit but have no way of knowing temp at the depth as I don't run a temp sensor off my ball. I figure, as far as temp goes, I just go to where the fish are ............ follow the swarms ..........and adjust my presentation to drag through them.