Thread: Crossbows???
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnchicks View Post
I use to use a compound bow until I injured my shoulder in a car accident. And to tell you the truth I love the experience and the intensity of hunting an animal up close and personal. Anyone who has taken game using archery knows it is a complete different experience of hunting than using a rifle. I love rifle hunting as well but just because I am limited on not being able to draw back a legal bow doesn't mean I should be limited to rifle season!

I know your all just jealous of my fps
X 3 .....
Until all bow hunters in the primitive bow season were to shoot nothing but long bows/recurves and no compound rigs then cross bows should be allowed without comment.
But only until then, all crossbow hunters, with injuries, should be left alone to do their thing. This is based upon the fact when an old bow hunter can no longer pull a compound bow because of an disability; that person should be allowed to pursue their activity without others casting dispersions even though the crossbow weighs nearly 3x that of a compound bow.

A crossbow hunter still must deploy the hunt and stalk and shots are still under 50 yards. Too many bow hunters are watching too many medieval movies when crossbow shots out to 200 yards are made.
A compound bow at a modern speeds of 350+ FPS, can do the same and the arrow is much heavier than a crossbow bolt thus the energy will take the arrow further.....

The permanent shoulder disability is a total other subject and the daily problems that it brings; and crossbow hunting is at the bottom of the list.

At the top is the lack of ability to lift your child or grandchild because you no longer have the strength or to simply take a cup out of the overhead cupboard.........I wonder how the fellow hunters that have a leg disability and allowed to ride an ATV to hunt with, is different than an injured related crossbow hunter?

Those of you who with out injures are very lucky, I will gladly swap bodies and my quality of life with you. And not being allowed to bow hunt because one is unable to pull a 40 pound bow, has nothing to do with this topic.

Just saying, IMHO from and injured old bow hunter who can still pursue a pastime but just in another way; and still experience the thrill.

Thanks for your understanding.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 05-19-2013 at 07:10 PM.