View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
I'm a truck driver so be patient with me. Just trying to wrap my head around what you are saying. I get that the actual number doesn't really matter in that you find what works best and stick with it. That is what most do - I think. But they measure the bullet length. Where do you start? You use a slip case to find the lands - right? Then you decide where to seat the bullet from that, be it on the lands or 0.020" or 0.050" off of the lands, shoot it for group and then try another depth if desired result not achieved. With the micro seater you would turn up or down on the stem that is marked with numbers and lines. It is still a measurement - you don't bother to measure the loaded round itself - correct.

For the Op. The comparator is a great tool for measuring length of bullets. As said before P&D sell them.

It appears that we are on the same page. I use the slip case as you call it to determine a starting point, and then I vary the settings on the seater die until I find the best accuracy. I may take another measurement once the load is finalized , to get an idea of where the bullet is seated in relationship to the lands, but that number in itself really doesn't matter.

I should add, that starting point also takes into account the magazine length, and it also is based on leaving enough bullet shank in the case neck to make sure that the bullet will stay in place with normal handling. I like to start out with about a .010" jump to the lands with a cup and core bullet, and .050" with a monometal bullet, but in some cases, with some boat tailed bullets, I can't seat anywhere close to the lands and still have enough bullet shank in the cartridge case. Examples are my Sako and Tikka rifles in 6.5x55 using the Accubond LR or Matchking, where I load to 3.100" , in order to leave .200" of bullet shank in the case neck. In both cases that leaves a jump to the lands of well over .100" , but the Tikka Varmint shoots either bullet sub 1/2moa in spite of the jump, and the Sako Carbine is averaging sub 3/4moa. In other situations, I have to load shorter than I would prefer , in order for the cartridges to function in the magazine.