View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Huh.......................35# you say. Can't see that wt of bow being the bow of choice for elk or moose but sure it could be done just like a .223 could do the job. I used to be a man who opposed the xbow with a fervor. Not any more though......like you said in your comment above, advancements in technology and efficient designs of modern compounds allow use of 35# bows. Well isn't that grand. Makes it almost effortless to use a 35# compound bow in the field.

I used to shut down any discourse about using a crossbow in the archery season. Here are the reasons why I stopped doing that disservice to the hunting community.....self pride, selfishness and fear were my motivations.

Self-pride: believing that I was better; more valuable; a more worthy hunter than those wanting to hunt with a crossbow; if I could pick up a bow and hunt then so can everyone else.

Fear: that the inclusion of crossbows would make it too easy for others to harvest big game animals.

Selfishness: in that I was being asked to share the harvest with other hunters.

None of these are valid. They are not worthy considerations at all.

These three motivations are shallow and it has troubled me for some time that I have not paid penance for my thoughts and actions. One still has to become a hunter to enjoy success with a crossbow. Yes, there are differences between a crossbow and a compound bow and a traditional bow. Yet, these differences do not amount to anything substantive, that should exclude a crossbow from being an equal option, in an archery only season.None of these are valid. In fact they are not worthy considerations at all.

I have been a bow hunter for 30 years. I know exactly and precisely what it takes to hunt with a trad bow, compound bow and crossbow. I own and hunt with all three. No one here should think that they can tell me how to use any of these tools........I know them intimately.

I encourage any hunter who wants to hunt with a crossbow in the archery season to lobby the AFGA and/or the govt of AB.

sounds like you know it all.
Crossbows are not bows, read the regulations on a description of a bow