View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
That was a hypothetical figure. You seem to be instigating conflict here. Maybe 350 isn't so out to lunch anyway. A 2 day event with 100 folks registered, with at least one day of pre-fishing could result in close to that. Assuming the fishing day is 8 hours long and folks catch on average 3 fish per hour (because they're good, right), that's 2400 walleye caught per day. If it's hot and windy, let's say mortality is 5% (I know...it could never be that high, right?), so that's 125 dead walleye per day, and 250 in total over the two days. But then add in some pre-fishing, with say 50 folks fishing for 8 hours, with the same catch rate and mortality rate and you get another 60 deads. The catch and release mortality for the event is now 310. But wait, some of those 50 pre-fishers were fishing on their regular licence, and 30 of them killed just one for the table. Now the total is 340. Getting darned close to 350, but we haven't accounted for the bad actors that "released" a dead or near-dead walleye from their livewells during the event, because the rules say that you can't register a dead fish. Could be another 10...? Doesn't matter much anyway, we're splitting hairs at this point.

Doesn't seem to out to lunch to me, but I totally admit to possibly not thinking clearly.
The problem with your numbers is basically the same as the problem with SRD's, they are chosen at random, and not based on fact. SRD has been invited on numerous occassions to come out and observe a tournament, or all of them, put in test cages, check livewell temperatures, basically check any thing they like, that may effect fish mortality......they have declined for years, with the exception of a couple of lame attempts which proved nothing.

When you are filling out a survey on fishing, hunting or anything really, would it not be more valid if your were commenting on facts that have been acquired by testing or doing studies, rather than "what ifs", "lets assume" and maybes.

The last thing I am trying to do is initiate a conflict between anglers, and I believe all of my comments are directed at the SRD and not at any of the angler groups listed. My comments were made in an attempt to inform anglers (and non anglers) that the numbers and comments in the survey have been skewed, and that you realize that, if you decide to complete the the survey. If you agree with the numbers and comments they listed, that is up to you, all that I will add is that you attend one of the tournaments in this province and see for yourself. Then you will have the facts.

Despite many requests for SRD to do a study on tournaments (by tournament groups) in this province, which they declined, a few years ago one of the tournament groups submitted a proposal/application for a comprehensive study on tournaments in northern Alberta to the ACA, it was declined as well.

I would not try and imply that there is no fish mortality at tournaments, I have witnessed that not to be the case. What I am saying is that the numbers have been exaggertated to the extreme, and comments made ("tournament mortality numbers of fish will have to be taken away from sport anglers") to intentionly try and portray tournament organizers, the clubs, and the anglers who participate in them as very detrimental to our fisheries. This is fear-mongoring at it's worst......and once again, I say shame on them.