View Single Post
Old 04-03-2024, 08:35 PM

There is always a few early bear sightings regardless of weather and there is always going to be people getting excited. There was a time I was out bear hunting every spring early but in time I learned to wait. I have personally seen bears at every month of the year so not surprised by early sighting

I have only ran a bait once and it’s just not for me so can’t speak on that. I have taken a lot of bears and been in on a ton of bear kills all spot & stalk or calling. Probably had some of the best mentors for bear hunting a guy could ever have too. Not even going to throw out a number of bear kills I have been part of because I am not interested in the BS

Here is what I will say with 100% confidence early springs are the worst for spot & stalk. They don’t lead to much of an early season at all. Majority of bears start moving around the same time every year. The downside to an early spring is when things green up they do so fast over a larger area. This spreads bears out because they have more options. It also causes more vegetation inside the bush to green up offering feeding areas that are harder to glass

Early springs suck and will take a late green up that concentrates bears into limited feeding areas

Personally I would not even start looking till last week April and wouldn’t expect things to get decent till after the first week of May

But hey if a guy wants to burn fuel and hike around with a rifle starting opening day giver.

One thing I have learned as I got more experience hunting is timing is important