View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Never understood wading a creek you can cast across, easier walking yes, but it makes a mess of the bed, especially a spring creek. People need to get more inventive with presenting a fly.
Have you ever actually fished stauffer? You dont really have any other choice but to get in the water because of the willows on the bank.

That being said, i did spend a day in late august on the north and south raven. Usually the south is produces much higher numbers of fish, and the north is tricky. Well the bwo hatch was on at the north and fish were rising everywhere. The creek was alive as i've ever seen it. BWO's were covering my pant legs, and we were catching little chunky browns and brookies on practically any fly size 16 or smaller on every second cast. Creek seemed very healthy to me.

Recently, i hit may favorite wintering stretch, one that many people frequent because it has the best stretch of wintering holes in the upper stretches. Saw maybe 5 fish (1 was either a pike, or a very big brown) as opposed to the dozens that are usually pooled up, but like usual skittish as hell. What i noticed was 4 beaver dams that were definitely preventing fish passage. Creek seemed very Unhealthy.

Some of my observations.