View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
In BC this past summer, with all of the fires, the environazi's were all screaming climate change, meanwhile, everyone in forest management was trying to scream a little louder, that the lack of proper forest management from BC in the recent past has contributed greatly to the mega fires.

Thankfully, the BC government has taken notice and is now discussing changes to how they manage the forests to help reduce the severity of the fires in upcoming seasons.

That takes away from the climate change propaganda and I'm sure they'll start protesting forest management like they did in the past. These fools would rather see people lose homes and wild life displaced on a massive level rather than give up on their agenda. If BC can manage to reduce the severity of fires due to proper forest management and preventive measures, the envirofreaks won't be able to use the fires as an example for their climate change hype.
Global warming is indeed creating more favorable conditions for wildfires. Droughts, extreme weather, the pine beetle explosion and changes in yearly precip. can all be tied to global warming.

This comes from the IPCC, the gold standard in peer reviewed work on climate change.

You are correct with forest management. If your going to insist on living in the forest your going to pay the price when a fire rips through as sometimes we simply cannot stop them. Spacing out the crowns, building breaks and removing deadfall and undergrowth can help prevent this.

As to the original post, California's fires move fast and large fuels with little ladder fuels will not burn as the fire rips below. Complete combustion of smaller fuels underneath happens before the larger fuels can catch leaving green trees in the black. We call this a surface fire, large fires with torching trees are called crown fires and happen in areas with tight packed conifers such as spruce and pine. We see these in BC and Alberta.

In addition, certain species of trees don't like to burn (Cedar, Aspen, Larch..).

Ex. Aspen stand will almost never burn or support a crown fire, (extreme drought can change this- I've witnessed it)

Just my 2 cents after 6 seasons on wildfire crews.