View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 09:59 AM

Default Pelican Catch 130 Kayak

I purchased this Kayak at the end of June . At first I was going to go the middle of the road route (price wise) and was going to buy an Old Town pedal drive which has a five year warranty on it's drive but then I stumbled on a wicked deal with the pelican . Some how something got spilled on it at the store and it was offered to me for half price . So on my maiden voyage after a few hours the mast rod backed off on the rear fin so I removed it added some loc tite and threaded it back on and all was fine . It took a few days out on the water and the mast rod on the front fin of the drive backed out . So again I removed the fin and tightened the mast bolt with loc tight . A bit of an inconvenience but again no big deal . So the next time I went out... boom again another issue . I pulled up my drive and the mast rods are still attached but the front fin has no resistance . I sent off an email to Pelicans warranty and waited and waited . Thinking summers half over I better give them a call if I want to use my boat this year . They apologized for the poor email response and promised to send me a new drive . I originally asked them to send me the Hydryve 2 pedal drive but they wouldn't .

So knowing I have a new drive coming I was doing some searching online on how to repair pelican drives so I could fix the original as a back up but could not find anything . So I did some research on the old style Hobie drives and realized that they are still selling parts for their original drives that pelican uses. So I ordered a couple of sets Hobie mirage drive V1 sprockets and may eventually upgrade the drive to a Hobie mirage V2 or GT . So I'm not quite sure how the pelican fin mast will fit into the V1 sprocket but I'm sure it could easily be modified or I can order a new one .

When my pelican was working it was a sweet ride , I was just starting to pimp it out with a fish finder and was working on an anchor system . I don't recommend buying the older model pelican Hydryve but if you have one the parts to fix them are fairly reasonable it's the shipping that killed me .