View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 04:37 PM

Question Walleye tactics & location scouting.

Hey, like most Albertan anglers I love Walleye. I live near Calgary and Crawling Valley has become my second home the past couple years. I've fished my whole life, but to be honest I've only been taught a few lures and presentations that I'm forced to stick to.

I have a few hundred $ worth of Rapala crank baits, tons of plastic (scented and non), plastic leeches, and the trusty pickerel-rig with shiner minnows are my main weapons of choice.

I first learned of 'bottom bouncing' just a couple years ago and I haven't done it yet but I got a run-down from a fellow customer at Russell sports in Calgary. From what I recall, since I didn't buy the gear, is that a bottom bouncer is basically jigging weight thats used to give the jig bait better action? I remember him showing me one, and I think he said he slowly drifts while jigging a bottom bouncer off bottom. I'd think its a tactic for less active, deep walleye's like jigging.

I usually troll too much, and a bit too fast till I get my electric motor, but I don't like to sit and jig for too long. I've found at CV that trolling crank baits and jigs to be what I do most, yet this year I plan on doing some pike fishing with my new 8 weight fly rod also.

Just wondering if anyone wants to share some of their tricks, and what depth and locations you fish for Walleye at this time of year? I find points that provide shelter from current, and when its hot they seem to be around 16' and up to 8' when the bait fish move. Yet I haven't scouted out any underwater structure on my own yet, mainly cause I don't have a good depth finder anymore.

What tactics do you use for river Walleyes? Anyone use Maggots? Spoons or spinners? real leeches?