View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 08:44 PM

bobbypetrolia; I usually can't back-troll at all since my transom is not high enough to keep water out, and my boats not worth a bilge pump. lol. I can however, troll very slowly, I'd guess around 2mph or less. Just faster then walking speed. I got a 60's merc, and its 'puts' just perfect. However at over a buck a litre, an electric motor will pay for itself in a year.

Winch101 , Thanks for the report and advice, I think their waiting for me before the come out and play 8-).

I think I'd have to agree with waxy regarding the need for new regs. I think with Barb-less hooks, trebles and baited hooks are fine for Pike/Walleye lakes. This however doesn't mean 2 treble crank baits are 'acceptable' lures in rivers IMO, yet I still see them tossed out there and inevitably de-gill a trout/whitefish.

Since I've gone barb-less, I haven't lost a fish and I've fished lots. I'm like a surgeon, and I can remove the deepest swallowed cranks in no time flat.

If you ask me, using bait is an bonus for the walleye/pike since they actually get a meal out of a catch and release, usually. Thats not counting the ones they get for free.

If your using bait, vertical jigging, BB'ing, or even casting your hooks aren't that far from the boat, so unless you completely bobble your release, or your not prepared and or stupid enough to rip a lure (usually barbed, since page 2 was as far as they got in the Reg's book) right out of the fishes mouth, I cant C&R mortality in AB being a serious issue anytime soon.

Waxy; I can tell you've put a lot of thought in to your opinion, and you made some points that I haven't thought of before. Since 95% of all my thoughts are fish related, thats saying a lot. lol