View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papershredder View Post

I wonder if you guys got a batch that never bonded properly or something Shooter? If by over-expanding you are saying that you guys had poor penetration or bullet failure? We've taken bull elk, cow elk, cow moose, calf moose, muley bucks, and whitetail bucks and does with 180 and 200 grain Accubonds and haven't recovered a single bullet yet. I took a BIG bodied bull elk at about 85 yds with a 200 grainer out of my .300 Ultra Mag running in the mid 3200 fps range and had a complete pass thru. I'm confident enough in the performance of the Accubonds that I'm going to drop down in weight and load 165's in my .300 WSM.
No, bonding was never an issue. I feel the jacket is too light in the frontal section, causing the diameter to over expand, ie. flatten at high velocity. If the bullet was a bonded, partition style bullet, it would definitely be a tougher offering. I do feel the manufacturing process lends itself to a more accurate bullet than the partition, not to say that the partition is not accurate. Weight retention is unimpressive for a bonded bullet, typically 60- 70%. Much the same as the standard Nosler Partition and nowhere near a Trophy Bonded, Swift A- Frame or even the Woodleigh Weldcore.

The Accubond is a good bullet, I won't say great. It does and will kill animals dead! They are quite evenly matched with the partition, but I'll give the partition the edge. If you've had great luck with them, that's good, continue to use them. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of using anything. In fact, I had acceptable performance from them... not exceptional. Just my 2 1/2 cents!