View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
I am used to a 7mm rem mag, until some scum sucking.....stole it. So...looking into a new rifle. Specifically a Christensen Classic with a Nightforce scope. I still have a box of reloaded 7mm, 139g Barnes TTSX, with 65gms of IMR4350. I get the bullet on bullet @ 300 yards and a 6" group @ 800. I have turned very lazy in my old age so long distance hunting is now my thing. Derr, bear Elk @ 700 to 1000 yards is good.

So one of my options is to shoot a 300 Remington Ultra Mag with a 130g Barnes @ 3900 fps. or stay with the same. There are a lot of pro's and Con's to both....

what do you guys think?
I think you have been given some bad info or are assuming your own erroneous information.

Barnes 130 grain TSX load data is 3600-3700 feet per second in my manual. Not 3900.

At that velocity you have a workable shooting range of out to 625 yards as they need to have 2000 fps to reliably expand.

Even if the velocity safely got up to 3900, your workable range would stretch out to about 685 yards.

There is also no such thing as a 139 grain TTSX from Barnes so something is amiss there too. Even if you did have a box of that ammo, there is zero guarantee that it would shoot safely in a different rifle.

That being said, if you want to shoot long range with a RUM I would be shooting bigger bullets with higher BC's. Look into the ELD-X bullets for instance. Maybe 208, 212 or 220 grain bullets.