View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I was shooting 40gr Ballistic Tips in an 8 twist 223 yesterday. Once again, light bullets seemed to do just fine in a quicker twist barrel. Is there a good reason why manufacturers continue to use slow twist barrels in many of their offerings?

I think the slower twists are to conform with the manufacturers offerings of bullet weights in factory ammo and don't take handloaders into account. Why they don't consider other choices I can't answer. My understanding is that you can over twist for lighter bullets. In my 20 Extreme with an 8 twist barrel I can shoot the 55 grain Bergers lights out, 40 grain works good too. I have not been able to work up a load with 32 grain bullets for that rifle and didn't even try the 26. I also have a 10 twist in 20 Extreme that works fantastic with 40 grain but can't stabilize the 55's. I have heard and read of bullets "misting" on the way down range. There is a guy on the other site for nutz that posted a formula for maximum bullet rotation. He experimented with some wildcats and used this to find the right twist for the chosen bullet.

Last edited by PartTimeHunter; 11-13-2017 at 10:47 PM.