View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I said it in a post earlier that I can not disagree with the only negative to these changes and that is with better fishing you will bring an increasing number of visitors.

That being said...these visitors will be additional fishing visitors...and likely will not affect hiking etc. Litter problems will not increase significantly as seen at Bullshead (every time I went there it was clean as fishermen respect the land and water extremely high). With more anglers you have more stewardship and more respect and appreciation for the resource. Actually I pick up more garbage along hiking trails than fishing places. The only significant issue will be for you seeing more happy anglers on the lake where once you saw few if any fishing. That is the only price to pay with success.

You comment about affecting the lake upon reflection is incorrect IMHO. Understanding these lakes are already stocked...have been stocked in the past...once had native cutthroat and bulltrout in them...are extensively impacted by the dams to me puts this concern of yours as non existent. In fact additional fishing activity will likely be the additional pressure needed to pursuade the powers that be to mitigate the water fluctuations more and actually improve the lakes biota.

As for fish sizes...I love catching anything verusus nothing and just love fishing. That being said if I fished once or twice a year...catching 8 inch stocked rainbows may of sufficed. BUT...if there were 20 inch rainbows to be caught along with plenty of 12-19 inch ones to catch...then...WOW...I would of fished more than twice. Downsizing your gear is all fine but still...small trout are no challenge compared to 20 inchers. I saw this principle on our perch problem in Lake Sundance. When the perch maxed out at 6 inches...few people wanted to fish for them more than once or twice a year if that. Now that we are seeing plenty of perch in the 8-10 inch category...the numbers of anglers is increasing. If they were 12-14 inches long...you bet interest would be even greater.

While I understand you are happy with 8-12 inch rainbows...I believe the majority of the population wants better fishing. So being fair to all users...you will still get your fish and smaller ones to catch for your enjoyment...larger ones for the rest of us...and nice reasonably sized 20 inchers for people to harvest if they so chose.

As for these specific concerns...

1 line up to off load and load the boat. Most people will either fish from shore or in pontoon/belly boats versus boat launching. There is tons of shore line to fish from...loads of room to give everyone space...I have only ever fished it from shore or in my belly boat and had a great scenic day...albiet with not a lot of fish. That will soon change!

2 parking issues There are lots of access points and lots of parking. Parking has never been a problem here. Chances are the available parking will finally get used.

3 the litter With more fishermen around...more hikers and picicker's litter will get picked up. More traffic will mean better servicing by parks and probably better patrolling!

4 traffic Fishermen will drive in first thing and leave at dusk. Therefore not a lot of additional traffic. Plus we are not talking about thousands of people a day so you have to be careful not to exaggerate this a being a problem. Traffic will also be dispersed to the various access points. Increased fishermen will watch the water for pollution and also poaching.

5 dirty water ( being used as a urinal, 2 stroke motors ) Not sure what the motor law is. I don't know many guys that would urinate out on the water in a tube. They mostly go to shore. I would say the reems of hikers probably add more urine that the occasional fisherman. Understanding also that there are reservoirs that flush lot of water out each year...I would not be concerned about the very low potential of build up. And actually...a little more nitrogen would help the bugs you are worried about. :-)

So in the end you said you like there being no one else but you fishing...you get skunked but still you wanted better fishing at times that you drove to Bullshead and loved it. Calgary and region has no quality fishery nearby and you don't want to vote to have one. While I can not understand your logic...I would recommend that if you want to fish in a reservoir near Calgary that has a nice view and few fish and even fewer users to consider switching to Barrier Lake and help make UKL and LKL a fishery to be proud of.

Cheers

Sun
Sundancer you are miss quoting me

Where do I say this " So in the end you said you like there being no one else but you fishing "

Where do I say this " you get skunked but still you wanted better fishing at times that you drove to Bullshead and loved it " I have never fished Bullshead

As for your comment to
#1 you mean there won't be an increase of boats because of this change?
#2 parking will defiantly be affected you are talking about a " quality fishery" are you not, people will be coming from much greater difference dragging more than just belly boats
#3 to state that there would be less litter because more people will pickup the liter is not true.
#4 various access points?