View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiami View Post
I think I'd be for this.

I'd be more for it if the proposed changes were on a waterbody anywhere NEAR me though, it'd be a heck of a busy day-trip driving down to Calgary for some troutfishing.

I have personally noticed the instant stock depletion that comes with the more liberal trout-pond regulations. So far, this has amounted to me not seeing a stocked trout on my line in about *thinks* 18 years. Very rarely am I the first one out after stocking.

Yup. I'm bad at fishing. I was one of those baitfishing kids, out with my dad, with the ONLY intent being to catch dinner. I'll add though, that yes, going to Safeway might have been cheaper than gas money (though gas WAS a whole tonne cheaper back then). But when daddy's blown through the child support money in beer and cigarettes, and he happens to have fishing gear, gasoline and 5 pairs of hands to hold rods, license-free... well, if we didn't catch the stockies, we didn't eat.

It's sad that only now at 24 am I starting to learn how to really fish, and seeing the value in throwing things back.

I DO wish I'd actually SEEN catch and release fishing as a kid.

Having broken a heck of a no-fish streak this past year, I have to say, seeing the first fish I've caught in a decade swim off back to his home was a good feeling. Nearly as good as the adrenalin rush I got having him on the line.

Now, the sad truth is I'm still a terrible fisher. But I'm slowly teaching myself. And I'd love to have more ponds where the trout aren't fished out right away, so I can learn. I want a place where I can test out my new fly rod, (hooking myself in the process, more often than not), and watch the fish scorn my woeful presentation. I want a place where I can learn how to jig things so that they look like they might be alive, and what exactly a good retrieve speed is for a spinner. I don't care if the trout aren't stupid and take work to catch. It's if there is no fish at all that's really frustrating.
I hear ya. There is a series of steps progressing through the fishing spectrum that most people seem to take. The learning how to catch fish...well that can be frustrating for sure but is really helps fishing for trout in a lake that has lots left.

Practice definitely makes perfect...but still we all have the bad days... Often the skill is evident in how many you can catch on the good days and limiting the skunked days.

Keep on plugging away and especially latch on to what others are doing around you. Ask questions, imitate and above all...constantly try new things.

Cheers

Sun